April 07, 2012

Upcycling!

Here are a couple of super simple dresses that I upcycled.


This one was an XXL man's shirt that I got at a church rummage sale. It looked new and the material felt nice. I intended to make something for the boys with it, but then changed my mind.


 


I cut off the sleeves, pinned the sides to remove excess fabric and serged all the way up to the armhole, then finished the armhole. I love how it turned out, because it can be worn in all seasons, with sandals or boots, with or without a belt. Very versatile! The pocket was on the chest originally, I moved it and added a strip of satin ricrac just for a little feminine touch.















This one was a blouse I got at the thrift store, and I had planned to make something for Ms G with it, but also changed my mind - think twice, cut once ;)




I did the same I did for the other dress, but this blouse had 3/4 length sleeves, which I put away for some other project. The problem with upcycling is the fine line between hoarding and "making provision for the future"..... ahem.


What about you? Did you ever upcycle a garment?

Peace!

Elisana





No comments:

Post a Comment